Monday, March 2, 2015

And then came baby


I was scheduled to be induced the morning of July 20, 2010 at Memorial University Medical Center in Savannah, GA. Dr. Pettigrew was an amazing Ob/Gyn and made a good point of being induced being less messy and being better prepared because of being able to know what to expect with an induction. It was hard to argue.

We made our way to the hospital around 5am and they prepped me. I was placed on ptocin in order to increase and strengthen contractions. I elected for no pain management initially. Then Dr. Pettigrew came in and ruptured my membranes and the pain was so intense with the ptocin that I was given IV medications that didn't even take the edge off. I finally gave in to an epidural after eight hours of hard contractions. I could've kissed the doctor who did it. It went just as he explained it to me and I was no longer feeling like a monster. I was able to relax and soon after Sam decided to leave to get food, I was dilated to 9cm and ready to deliver. The nurse cut the ptocin off and said she would call Dr. Pettigrew and be right back. She didn't come back. I started to feel dizzy and the monitor started to beep. Baby Boy was in distress and his heart rate was dropping. Another nurse came in and had me lay on my right side and placed an oxygen mask on my face. Soon thereafter, Dr. Pettigrew showed up and was puzzled as of to why the ptocin was off and she was rather upset that she never received a call. Sam showed back up and she turned the ptocin back on and said we would be delivering soon. A total of 12 hours of labor later, and Omar was born. He started experiencing distress again as I delivered him and after the final push, he pooped right as he came out. He was beautiful... just as I had pictured him to be. I breast fed him immediately and he had no problem with latching on and feeding. He was perfect. They swept him away for a bath and for standard labs and such. Sam was more fascinated with the placenta and the cord blood and tissue that we elected to have cryogenically frozen through Cbr. Doc sewed up a few internal stitches where I tore a little and soon after, the epidural was removed. Once I was able to feel my legs again, I was able to move to the next room where I would stay the night. Sam tended to me during our stay there. He tended to me throughout the entire delivery. Why did I think it was something endearing? This was something he was once employed at this very hospital to do. It wasn't something he was doing to be sweet and loving... it was just like work to him.

We were discharged and the lights went back out... literally as we exited the hospital doors...LIGHTS OUT.

No comments:

Post a Comment